Wednesday, November 02, 2005

The art of the doormat

The door across the hall from my apartment has a green Jets football team doormat. It's saying: I'm a Jets fanatic.

The Jets mat's neighbor, across the hall from me and one door to the left, moved in recently, and also put out the same green Jets mat, right next door. It's saying: I'm a follower, and I'm uncreative.

I wonder if when the new guy moved in he already had that Jets mat, or if he went out and bought it when he saw the one next door. I wonder if it was done in a competitive state of mind, or a fraternal one. I wonder if he is a bit of a doormat himself.

Do you think most people give serious thought to their doormat? Do they consider their neighbor's mats when choosing their own? And, do the people with generic-looking flowery mats spend a long time picking those out? Do they stand in front of the mats deliberating, looking from one to the next, and then back to the first? Hmmm, the pink or the purple carnation?

Outside my door is a "Wipe Your Paws" mat.

It's saying: I love my dog, and I'm a big dork...

What does your mat say?
posted by Danielle @ 12:17 AM |

20 comments

<< Home