Friday, October 27, 2006

showering with 60 other women

Why are showers only thrown for happy occasions, like getting married and having babies? The time when someone really needs to be showered with love and support is when something really crappy happens. I mean, how amazing would it be to have a "sorry you just lost your job shower?" Or how about a "sorry your boyfriend/lover/husband is an ass shower?" And for that matter, why doesn't Hallmark make cards for such occasions? Seriously though, what better time is there than when you feel totally stressed and at your breaking point to be showered with attention and presents? Especially gifts relating to food and things to make you feel sexy!

When I am feeling down, all I want to do is eat and stay in bed. Why not heighten that experienced for the person feeling bad? I can see it now... Here is a wine opener to help you drown your sorrows. Here is an ice cream maker to help you eat through your emotions. Here are fireplace pokers to help you burn your memorabilia...

That said, my bridal shower was last weekend, and I wouldn't have traded it for anything. It was so nice, but the whole thing just flew by. If I didn't have about a zillion photos to jog my memory, I would have forgotten virtually everything. I imagine that this is how I looked majority of the time, with a big goofy (albeit a bit overwhelmed) grin...The room was packed with family and friends of my mom, my grandma, and the future mom-in-law, as well as a few of my friends. The food was delish, especially the apple pancakes, blinzes, and last but not least, the ice cream bar. Yum. There were some fabulous gifts...And some interesting and entertaining ones, including white sunglasses with a dove, a plate with a '70s sailor on it, a negligee from the man's grandma, and a bra and panties set from my grandma that caused me to turn at least five shades of red...The bow hat and tissue paper bouquet were a bit silly, but the man's mom (a middle school art teacher) and her arty friend were excited to create them, so I went with it... Not everyone was thrilled with the shower. My nephew thought the event was a bit of a snoozer...But I was filled with Joy...Next time I'm feeling down, I may not be thrown a shower, but at least I can look back at the photos and know that I am loved... That, or I can take that ice cream maker out for a spin!
posted by Danielle @ 12:04 AM |

6 comments

<< Home