Monday, October 10, 2005

These boots are made for walking

We each have our own unique walk... a posture, a gait, a flow that is uniquely ours.

Do you think about your walk? I sometimes think about mine. Especially when I'm listening to my ipod, and I catch myself walking in step to certain songs. It makes me question if I change my stride based on the shuffle of my tunes. I wonder, do I often succumb to a music induced strut?

I know at times I have felt a dull stroll gain pep and bounce with the first few chords of the Black Eyed Peas "Let's get it started" or "Where is the love?" and a stride become a saunter to Etta James' sultry "I just wanna make love to you." But is it a noticeable change to my fellow sidewalk steppers and subway schleppers?

Then there are times when I am singing along to songs in my head, especially when it's gospel like Aretha's "Oh happy day," or something like "Rent" or American Idol tunes (yes, I am that lame, get over it), I can feel my eyebrows raise reaching for the high notes. And at the times when I just have to harmonize in my head to En Vogue or Salt 'N Pepa, "Never gonna get it, never gonna get it. Never gonna get it... Whooo-o-ooah." Yeah, that 'Woah" is a definite eyebrow raiser.

But the worst is when dance songs come on like KC and the Sunshine Band's "Shake, Shake, Shake," and I just want to bust out dancing, like Ellen Degeneres dancing in the elevator in the commercials for her talk show. But, I refrain. I have thus far been able to control myself from swinging around the subway poles to Madonna or Blondie. But one of these days, I may not be able to control myself. So, to those of you in New York, if you see a girl shaking her bon bon on a B or D train just after rush hour, it may be me. So don't be afraid... come join in. Please, shake your bootie. Yes, shake, shake, shake... shake your bootie with me.
posted by Danielle @ 12:06 AM |

8 comments

<< Home